Re: Mac OS X and Debian Linux LAN research.

Paul E Condon wrote:
On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 02:18:21AM -0500, Chinook wrote:
Paul E Condon wrote:
On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 11:24:24PM -0500, Chinook wrote:
Paul E Condon wrote:
On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 10:18:35PM -0500, Chinook wrote:

Mac OS X and Debian Linux LAN research.

I am currently doing the Google shuffle and am posting this to try to make sure I don't miss something important.

You could very well be correct that Appletalk only does print sharing,
but netatalk does both print and file sharing.  Mac clients can write
files on the Linux hard disk that can be read by any other Mac on the
LAN and by a user sitting at the Linux computer. A user sitting at the
Linux box can write files into the directories that are shared with
the Macs and those files are visible to the Mac users. This is enough
bi-directionality for my needs, but maybe not enough for your needs. I
just don't know about writing data onto the Mac hard disk from a
program running on the Linux box. I've never tried it.

Hi Paul (and thanks for hanging in there despite an old man's stubbornness)

In support of what you are saying (and after 4 hours googling) I found this:
http://viebrock.ca/article/22/file-sharing-from-linux-to-os-x-a-quick-guide

Like you, I'm unsure about how (specifically) g4l might be able to "upload" to my Mac. I'll keep digging and get back to this.

I think you will find that it is OK, when it comes time to upload to
the Mac, instead to walk over to tha Mac and download from the Linux
box. That's what I do. To understand how to sit at the Linux box and
send stuff over to the Mac would involve gaining a far better
understanding of the Mac OS X than I think if deserves. IMHO OS X is
an obfuscation layer on top of a very reasonable POSIX compliant Unix.
Over time it will thrash about as developers attempt to satisfy
marketing department's need for 'innovation'. If you tie your work to
it, you will find your work is in need of revision from time to time
just to keep it current with the current eye-candy fad.

I just turned 73 in December. I, also, am stubborn.

Well basically I could implement VPN, NFS or Netatalk (aka AppleTalk/AppleShare), and as I mentioned before I'm not considering SMB.

Obviously VPN for a local hardwired network borders on the ridiculous as I have no need for private remote access and even NFS is overkill for my needs. So I'm pretty much left with Netatalk on the Linux box for file and Mac printer sharing, which (on the surface) seems simple enough. For the ftp part of my backup strategy though, I believe my Mac will need to be the ftp server and I'll use vsftp on the Linux box. If anyone is interested, I'll document the setup steps for the Linux+Mac (no doze) network (sans mistakes) and either post them here or put them up on my dotMac. There is very little out there for SOHO no-doze mixed networking.

Speaking of backup, it's a good thing I have at least one avenue in place. I already screwed up my Linux connection with my DHCP router and had to restore some files to get my Gnome desktop fully up. The host name assigned to my Linux box wasn't showing up in the router configuration and I made things worse - doesn't bode well for this little project :-)))

I did have a question for you Paul. Do you find you need Howl (mdnsresponder/mdnsd) installed to make sure your Netatalk server is discovered/recoginized by your Mac(s)?

Thanks,
Lee C
"The one important thing I've learned over the years is the difference between taking one's work seriously and taking one's self seriously. The first is imperative, and the second is disastrous." —Margaret Fontey