Re: Mac OS X and Debian Linux LAN research.

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 10:18:35PM -0500, Chinook wrote:
> Mac OS X and Debian Linux LAN research.
>
> I am currently doing the Google shuffle and am posting this to try to
> make sure I don't miss something important.
>
> I recently expunged Windoze from the PC on my LAN and installed Debian
> Etch (testing, kernal 2.6.12-1-686, Gnome desktop) GNU Linux (I feel so
> much cleaner now :-)  My eventual goal is to do ObjC/Cocoa type
> cross-platform software development using GNUstep.
>
> Preparation though involves getting the now isolated Linux box back on
> my LAN.  Two considerations are file sharing (of course) and capturing
> system images of the Linux system in my Mac restoration strategy.  On
> the Linux box one of my backup techniques is Mondo for bootable DVD
> system images, and the other is g4l (ghost for linux) with which I can
> clone to a local HD and/or image the Linux system to another system via
> ftp (vsftp suggested by g4l).
>
> There are two internal 80GB HDs on the Linux box, and two internal 250GB
> HDs plus several external 250GB HDs (used for alternating clones) on my
> PMac G5.
>
> I'm thinking NFS or ? and strictly avoiding Samba/NetWare/anything
> windoze related.
>
> Any pointers and opinions would be greatly appreciated :-)

I use netatalk on Sarge. Three Macs on my network all find it as an
Appletalk server quite reliably. I use one of my Linux boxes for
safe copies of Mac stuff. I don't try to access the Macs from the
Linux boxes. There are too many layers of obfuscation on the Mac for
me to feel like I know what I'm doing in that direction. I am definately
not a Mac expert.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net