Re: Mac OS X and Debian Linux LAN research.

Paul E Condon wrote:
On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 11:24:24PM -0500, Chinook wrote:

Paul E Condon wrote:

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 10:18:35PM -0500, Chinook wrote:

Mac OS X and Debian Linux LAN research.

I am currently doing the Google shuffle and am posting this to try to
make sure I don't miss something important.

I recently expunged Windoze from the PC on my LAN and installed Debian
Etch (testing, kernal 2.6.12-1-686, Gnome desktop) GNU Linux (I feel so
much cleaner now :-)  My eventual goal is to do ObjC/Cocoa type
cross-platform software development using GNUstep.

Preparation though involves getting the now isolated Linux box back on
my LAN.  Two considerations are file sharing (of course) and capturing
system images of the Linux system in my Mac restoration strategy.  On
the Linux box one of my backup techniques is Mondo for bootable DVD
system images, and the other is g4l (ghost for linux) with which I can
clone to a local HD and/or image the Linux system to another system via
ftp (vsftp suggested by g4l).

There are two internal 80GB HDs on the Linux box, and two internal 250GB
HDs plus several external 250GB HDs (used for alternating clones) on my
PMac G5.

I'm thinking NFS or ? and strictly avoiding Samba/NetWare/anything
windoze related.

Any pointers and opinions would be greatly appreciated :-)

I use netatalk on Sarge. Three Macs on my network all find it as an
Appletalk server quite reliably. I use one of my Linux boxes for
safe copies of Mac stuff. I don't try to access the Macs from the
Linux boxes. There are too many layers of obfuscation on the Mac for
me to feel like I know what I'm doing in that direction. I am definately
not a Mac expert.

Thanks for the reply Paul,

My understanding (which ain't all that great :-) is that "apple talk"
mainly handles printer sharing - not file sharing.  I need
bi-directional file sharing in addition to printer sharing like I had
setup with the Windoze OS.  I also want to ftp linux system images to my
Mac which (have not gotten this far yet) probably means setting up my
Mac as some sort of local ftp server??

I also understand (same qualification) that netatalk will happily
coexist with whatever I use for file sharing, so I'm "ass.u.ming" at
this point that it will be part of the solution.

You could very well be correct that Appletalk only does print sharing,
but netatalk does both print and file sharing.  Mac clients can write
files on the Linux hard disk that can be read by any other Mac on the
LAN and by a user sitting at the Linux computer. A user sitting at the
Linux box can write files into the directories that are shared with
the Macs and those files are visible to the Mac users. This is enough
bi-directionality for my needs, but maybe not enough for your needs. I
just don't know about writing data onto the Mac hard disk from a
program running on the Linux box. I've never tried it.

Hi Paul (and thanks for hanging in there despite an old man's stubbornness)

In support of what you are saying (and after 4 hours googling) I found this:
http://viebrock.ca/article/22/file-sharing-from-linux-to-os-x-a-quick-guide

Like you, I'm unsure about how (specifically) g4l might be able to "upload" to my Mac.  I'll keep digging and get back to this.

Thanks,
Lee C