Re: Linux Distribution Chooser

Andy Streich wrote:
> Steve, rather than defending the status quo perhaps you could bend a little
> and hear the request being made in a different light.

    I'm not defending the status quo, I am pointing out the inaccuracies in
what people are posting.  I'm all for doing things better, believe you me.
However I do believe before people make suggestions on how something should be
improved they really do need to understand what it does presently.  If they
don't then often times their suggestions are, as in this case, way off the mark.

> I spent days trying to figure out how to remove Gnome and
> leave KDE in a working state.

    I fail to see how hard that could be.  Start with the Gnome package, see
what it depends on, work your way down from there.  Leave the libraries alone
and you should be fine.  If you're using something like aptitude just mark the
libraries as managed after the above process is done and any unused Gnome
libriaries would be removed.  *shrug*

    Alternatively one could just search on "gnome-" and remove those, mark the
libs as managed and do it that way.  That is, by no means, an expert approach.
 Not the neophyte, to be sure, but it is pretty simple.