Re: Re: Linux Distribution Chooser

Don Jackson wrote:
> John Hasler wrote:
>> Don Jackson writes:
>>>
>>> I still don't know WHY there isn't a choice of desktops given the person
>>> installing Debian.
>>

>> There is a choice of desktops. There is a choice of _everything_.
>
> OK, in the small context of the above quote, revise that to say:
>
> "I still don't know WHY there isn't a choice of desktops given the
> person installing Debian *DURING THE INSTALL*."  That's what was implied
> by the complete text of my original message (I hope).

You don't know why?  Take your pick of which one you think is the
most likely:

1.  the idea never occurred to the developers who worked on the
installer;

2.  the idea occurred to the developers who worked on the installer,
but they decided it was a bad idea for whatever reasons (example
reason:  "since the clued user can always apt-get the environment of
choice after installing, such a feature would be for the absolute
newbie; but the newbie likely won't know KDE from Gnome from IceWM
from XFCE from a toaster oven, so now a detailed explanation of each
with sufficient discriminatory power has to go into the installer
*too*, so fsck it");

3.  the idea occurred to the developers who worked on the installer,
but other things seemed (and seem) to them to be more important (e.g.
bug fixes) or more interesting, and thus more worthy of their time.

I'm betting on a mix of #2 and #3, depending on the particular
developer.

-c