Linux Distribution Chooser

This may be considered "off topic" by some, but I just stumbled on an
interesting website with a program called "Linux Distribution Chooser".
Even though I've been with Debian for a couple years now, I thought I'd
just test out the "chooser"...

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

I went through the series of questions, one of which was what desktop
environment I preferred.  I chose KDE.

The final result of *my* responses to the queries ended with the program
suggesting Kubuntu and Mepis, with "In addition, we found these matches,
sorted by how well they match:" naming Debian.  The note next to it:

> Failed these criterias:
> # Does not use the desired desktop environment

I know there has been a prolonged discussion on this list recently about
why Gnome is the default installation rather than KDE.  In fact with all
the verbiage, I still don't know WHY there isn't a choice of desktops
given the person installing Debian.  I use this experience with the
"chooser" to point out the continuing misconception about Debian.

According to TUX magazine,
> Desktop Poll Results
> This is a poll from the tuxmachine Web site. KDE [was favored
> over] GNOME 51% to 21%—that’s 3 to 1.

Admittedly this is not a scientific poll, and I'm not interested in
starting (another) flame war over KDE vs. GNOME (send those comments to
/dev/null please), but I am interested in seeing the Debian Installer
give the user a choice during installation.

Why not?

Regards,
Don
--
Confidence is the feeling you have before you really understand the problem.