Re: "superblock last write time is in the future" on boot

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 08:59:24 -0200
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Jan 2006, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > I submitted a bug against e2fsprogs a couple weeks ago due to similar
> > issues on boot up. the developer got right on it and apparently fixed it.
> > Something to do with when debian sets the system clock as it relates to
> > the fsck portion of boot. So, his solution was two fold. 1) fix the
> > hardware clock to UTC and 2) upgrade to his latest package. don't know if
> > its been committed yet or not and whether it'll trickle into testing soon
> > or not, but thats my
>
> This is caused by breakage in glibc and util-linux, see
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=342887  for the *real* full
> story.
>
> e2fsprogs has no bug at all. I hope they did not make the matters worse
> trying to work around it.

according to email from the developer, they did this:

 * Deal with the fact that Debian's boot sequence bogusly doesn't set the
     time correctly until very late in the boot process; so if the
     superblock's last mount or write time is in the future, don't treat
     this as a fatal error.  (Closes: #343662, #343645)

so I doubt that it broke anything else in the workaround, but we'll see.