Re: "superblock last write time is in the future" on boot

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 22:28:15 -0200
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:

> > > Short and to the point: stop using your RTC in local timezone mode.
> > > Currently it simply cannot be as well supported as a RTC in UTC mode, and it
> > > was never a sound engineering idea to begin with to have that in local time,
> > > even back on the DOS days it was already broken by design.
> > >
> > > Real fix: whatever you do, make sure /etc/localtime IS IN THE ROOT
> > > FILESYSTEM (it is usually a symlink to /usr, and since you got the bug, your
> > > /usr is probably a separate partition...).
> > >
> > I don't have a seperate partition for /usr, and still I have this problem.
> > so this real fix is not a fix to me, :-(
>
> That's a very interesting datapoint.  Does /etc/localtime point to a valid
> file, and more important, to the file corresponding to the timezone your RTC
> is in?  Is UTF=yes set in /etc/default/rcS?  Is your RTC in local time
> instead of in UTC?

I submitted a bug against e2fsprogs a couple weeks ago due to similar issues on boot up. the developer got right on it and apparently fixed it. Something to do with when debian sets the system clock as it relates to the fsck portion of boot. So, his solution was two fold. 1) fix the hardware clock to UTC and 2) upgrade to his latest package. don't know if its been committed yet or not and whether it'll trickle into testing soon or not, but thats my

.02