Re: newbies needing help for graphic login

On 1/5/06, Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
> The increasing frequency of 'help help help' messages from new users who
> arrive at a command line console and don't know what to do next is a
> good sign: more people moving from doze to Linux, more moving from
> fedora and suze to debian.  But there is a real danger of scaring them
> off -- and I think their plight is a sign that debian should offer a
> little extra help for them.  What do others here think?

I think it's a good idea.  The problem area in the installer seems to
be the screen where the
 various pre-configured installation options are selected (Desktop,
Server, etc).  I don't
 recall seeing any explanation of the implications of this selection
or even how to make
the selection.  Getting the "X" inside the brackets is not intuitive
to someone coming from
 a purely GUI background.   Maybe if no selection is made on this
screen, there should be
 some warning/verifications.

On my first installation, I blew by that screen, making no selections
and ending up with no
GUI - which was not a big deal to me, but it was a bit mysterious as
to how I got there.

Dave