Re: Unable to install custom kernel

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:58:24 +1100, Yasir Assam <list1@endlessvoid.com> said:

> Hi, I recently upgraded from Sarge to Etch. Today I downloaded
> kernel
> 2.6.14.5 from kernel.org and built it with make-kpkg as follows:

>     $ make-kpkg clean $ fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version -xyz
>     --initrd \
>             kernel_image
>     $ cd ..
>> dpkg -i kernel-image*.deb

> When I did this though, I got the following error:

> You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version
> 2.6.14.5-bor01) while running a kernel of version 2.6.14.3-ver01,
> but you have no suitable ramdisk generation tool installed among
> /usr/sbin/mkinitrd /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs.
> This will break the installation, unless a suitable ramdisk
> generation tool is also being installed right now.

> This is strange, beceause I do have /usr/sbin/mkinitrd installed - I
> have the initrd-tools package installed.

        Apparently, mkinitrd can no longer support a large number of
 configurations after kernel 2.6.12 (when devfs was dropped). You need
 yaird or initramfs-tools, if you want to use an initrd.

        manoj
--
Noise proves nothing.  Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles
as if she laid an asteroid.  -- Mark Twain