Re: Unable to install custom kernel

Yesterday I also built and installed a 2.6.14-5 kernel from kernel.org
and I don't have the initramfs-tools installed.

What I did (as root user) was this:

make xconfig
..then edited the Makefile, adding to the EXTRAVERSION string

make-kpkg kernel_image
dpkg --install <kernel-image package>

However, I always use hard-disk device drivers built into the kernel (instead
of as loadable modules). So I guess the kernel doesn't require an initial RAM
disk - maybe that's why I got away with it.

Only hiccup: X-server failed to start: no mouse (because the evdev module -
required for the laptop touch pad - didn't get auto-loaded). Fixed by adding
it to /etc/modules.

Wilbert.

PS: the make-kpkg program is a laugh-a-minute: "You are violating Debian
Policy" (for using upper case in EXTRAVERSION) and a sarcastic "Building from
scratch, eh?" :-)

--

> I managed to fix it by installing initramfs-tools, though I don't
> pretend to understand why it happened.
<snip>