Unable to install custom kernel

I recently upgraded from Sarge to Etch. Today I downloaded kernel from kernel.org and built it with make-kpkg as follows:

    $ make-kpkg clean
    $ fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version -xyz --initrd \
    $ cd ..
    # dpkg -i kernel-image*.deb

When I did this though, I got the following error:

You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version while running a kernel of version, but
you have no suitable ramdisk generation tool installed among
/usr/sbin/mkinitrd /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs. This will break the installation, unless a
suitable ramdisk generation tool is also being installed right

This is strange, beceause I do have /usr/sbin/mkinitrd installed - I have the initrd-tools package installed.

Is there some other ramdisk generation tool I need?

This is the same method I used to build only a few weeks ago, so I don't understand why it's stopped working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.