Re: excludes list

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 07:16:21PM -0500, Chinook wrote:

> I had gotten that far - just unfamiliar with the specifics of the Linux
> file system.  Found some more info though, like
> http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_03_01.html
> and http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
> which is helping me decide on specifics.
>
> I'm fairly familiar with the various *nix tools
> (note my article http://homepage.mac.com/lee_cullens/Bx3.html).

A nice thing about debian is that you can save a large percentage of your
system with the following:

  * dpkg --get-selection '*'
    (all your packages, installed or not, which allows you to fairly quickly
	restore a system with only 20k of backup overhead)
  * /boot (everything you need to boot the system)
  * /etc (settings)
  * /var (things like mail, databases, system data)
  * /home (although you should exclude things like Firefox cache directories)

You should never put anything you change outside of these directories (or /mnt
if you have other partitions, or /usr/local if you install things manually).

You can create very compact backups if you set them up correctly on Linux.  If
you've got RAID, complete system crashes aren't going to happen that often
anyway, so it's not that much of a burden to spend a few hours reinstalling
your packages from the dpkg list.