Re: kernel 2.4.* vs 2.6.* and ATAPI dvd question

Jules Dubois wrote:
On Thursday 29 December 2005 20:56, Chinook <chinook.nr@tds.net>
(<[🔎] dp2b4q$rpj$1@sea.gmane.org>) wrote:

For current stable kernel 2.4.27 it gives instructions on how to setup
an ATAPI CD-RW/DVD+-RW recorder on Debian.  Trouble is they include lilo
and I'm using grub.  Then below it says (I think) that such is not
needed with kernel 2.6.* and explains undoing the previous steps for 2.4.*

In the instructions for LILO and 2.4 you will see a kernel parameter for
SCSI emulation for the writer(s).  You can add the same parameter to GRUB
if you need it.

What I get out of this is that maybe I should upgrade to kernel 2.6.* ???

SCSI emulation is not required in v2.6.  Whether you use GRUB or LILO, you
don't need the emulation parameter.  If you have it and you upgrade from
2.4 to 2.6, remove it.

Thanks for replying Jules,

I guess I understood correctly, except for not knowing I could make the same changes to grub. Guess I'll have to look into what (and how) I can do with grub :-P

Anyway, I decided to move on up to etch. I'll get my kernel upgrade and hopefully lessen some other issues. From what I've read it should be at least as "stable" for me as "stable" is now. I don't see any issues that would affect me so it should be a net gain.

The system is downloading for the upgrade now and says it will take a couple hours, so it's time for a little nap.

Thanks again,
Lee C