Re: 3d acceleartion

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 23:09:01 +0100
Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 23:42:26 +0200, Micha wrote in message
> <[🔎] 20051227234226.64e05dcd@litshi.luna.local>:
>
> > On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:27:04 -0500
> > jlquinn <jlquinn@optonline.net> wrote:

> ..gotcha!  ;o)
>
> > Either install the debian packages for xfree from dri.sf.net (check
> > the download section - three packages which include an xorg server
> > which installs over the xfree one and a package for kernel drivers) or
> > install the xorg server from unstable and then install the snapshots
> > package from the same download place. You will need the common and
> > mach64 packages.
> >
> > I used the first option originally which worked fine. I use the second
> > one currently for other reasons, with full scree 3d games I get some
> > issues though (acceleration is present but some triangles aren't being
> > drawn for some reason, didn't get around to find out the reason yet.
>
> ..lspci, Micha?  Last time I chkd, them dri guys spoke of missing
> triangle hardware or somesuch, so I bought a radeon.
> They didn't find a way around that hardware issue???

First of all I can't upgrade since its a laptop. Second, it's definitly a
software problem since 3d acceleration worked fine a few months back. There was
talk about changing the memory access method due to security reasons but it was
probably held back at the time due to lack of interest. I didn't have time yet
to check on the dri mailing list to see if anyone knew anything about it.

BTW, the card is a ATI rage mobility M1 with 8MB of onboard ram (week, but does
the job for me and it did mange to run return to castle wolfenstein and quake
(2k I think it was) at the time.