Re: 3d acceleartion

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:27:04 -0500
jlquinn <jlquinn@optonline.net> wrote:

> Mark Grieveson wrote:
> > Hello. Is it possible for me to enable 3d acceleration with the hardware
> > I have? Right now, there is absolutely no 3d acceleration. I feel that
> > if it was present, even though my hardware is old, I at least would be
> > able to play PlanetPenguin-Racer (aka TuxRacer).
> >
> > I have a Pentium III, 450 MHz system, running Debian Sarge with a
> > 2.6.8-2-386 kernel image, 384 MB ram. My VGA compatible controller is
> > ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X (rev 5c), which I believe is
> > also known as Mach64, with 8 MB. So, is the name "3D Rage Pro" just a
> > lie, to en*rage* me?

Either install the debian packages for xfree from dri.sf.net (check the
download section - three packages which include an xorg server which installs
over the xfree one and a package for kernel drivers) or install the xorg server
from unstable and then install the snapshots package from the same download
place. You will need the common and mach64 packages.

I used the first option originally which worked fine. I use the second one
currently for other reasons, with full scree 3d games I get some issues though
(acceleration is present but some triangles aren't being drawn for some reason,
didn't get around to find out the reason yet.