Re: 3d acceleartion

Mark Grieveson wrote:
Hello. Is it possible for me to enable 3d acceleration with the hardware I have? Right now, there is absolutely no 3d acceleration. I feel that if it was present, even though my hardware is old, I at least would be able to play PlanetPenguin-Racer (aka TuxRacer).

I have a Pentium III, 450 MHz system, running Debian Sarge with a 2.6.8-2-386 kernel image, 384 MB ram. My VGA compatible controller is ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X (rev 5c), which I believe is also known as Mach64, with 8 MB. So, is the name "3D Rage Pro" just a lie, to en*rage* me?

You're not going to find what you're looking for by default. Check out the following page on the status of Mach64 support.

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIMach64?action=highlight&value=CategoryHardware

If you're savvy enough, you could build it and get 3d support. Otherwise, you should pick up a newer video card that is already supported. Finding a supported 3d card shouldn't be very expensive. There's plenty of older HW that will work out of the box such as older radeons.

Jerry Quinn