Re: 3d acceleartion

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:27:04 -0500, jlquinn wrote in message
<[🔎] 43B1A398.1030100@optonline.net>:

> Mark Grieveson wrote:
> > Hello. Is it possible for me to enable 3d acceleration with the
> > hardware  I have? Right now, there is absolutely no 3d acceleration.
> > I feel that  if it was present, even though my hardware is old, I at
> > least would be  able to play PlanetPenguin-Racer (aka TuxRacer).
> >
> > I have a Pentium III, 450 MHz system, running Debian Sarge with a
> > 2.6.8-2-386 kernel image, 384 MB ram. My VGA compatible controller
> > is  ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X (rev 5c), which I
> > believe is  also known as Mach64, with 8 MB. So, is the name "3D
> > Rage Pro" just a  lie, to en*rage* me?
> >

> You're not going to find what you're looking for by default.  Check
> out  the following page on the status of Mach64 support.
>
> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIMach64?action=highlight&value=CategoryHardware
>
> If you're savvy enough, you could build it and get 3d support.

..define "savvy enough."  ;o)

..Mark will spare himself some grieving if he first verifies his
hardware _is_ a " 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X (rev 5c)" and not
a rebadged cheapo "3D Rage II+ AGP" etc, takes a wee 'lspci'.

.._if_ it is, and he's on a budget or somesuch, and finds something
scary enough to try fry this old junk on, I've got over half a dozen of
these 2 to 8MB agp cards, and a camera for the Happy New Year! ;o)

> Otherwise, you should pick up a newer video card that is already
> supported.  Finding a supported 3d card shouldn't be very expensive.
> There's plenty of older HW that will work out of the box such as older
>  radeons.

..I went this route.  ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: