X config

 No matter what I do with the XF86Config-4 in /etc/X11, I get the same fatal error message at the end:
                   xf86OpenConsole: Cannot find a free VT

I could not find anything like xf86OpenConsole.  When I had Debian before, X attached itself to tty7 automatically.  Any ideas?  I cannot find xvidtune.

Incidentally, I have Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 installed on a Toshiba Satellite A-30.  The 40 Gig drive is halved with WinXP and Debian.  The Debian is on multiple partitions, one each for /swap, /, /home, /usr and /var.  Boot is controlled by lilo.

I have some trouble connecting to the web using Debian but that is secondary to the X problem.

Whatever you can do, thanks.

Shane

Stops spam 100% for your email accounts or you get paid. http://www.cashette.com