Re: dhcp client wifi setup

On Tuesday, 27 December 2005 at 15:34:19 +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> Richard Lyons wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >I found that too, and tried "modprobe ieee80211_crypt_wep" The module
> >loaded but the connection still obstinately failed.  I found two other
> >modules in /lib/modules/2.6.14-2-686/kernel/net/ieee80211/, namely
> >ieee80211_crypt_ccmp and ieee80211_crypt_tkip, so I modprobed them too,
> >but that did not help either -- I expect they are for hardware I do not
> >have anyway.
>
> Well, I have one last suggestion to make: Check with lsmod if the
> orinoco driver is actually using the ieee80211 modules. On my laptop the
> relevant output looks like this:
>
> florian@isar:~$ lsmod | grep ieee80211
> ieee80211_crypt_wep     4992  1
> ieee80211              23752  1 ipw2100
> ieee80211_crypt         5636  2 ieee80211_crypt_wep,ieee80211

Thanks, Florian.  Just to complete this story, before I move it to
debian-laptop, here is the corresponding output on the thinkpad 600E.
It does seem to indicate a disconnect between the orinoco and ieee80211
drivers.
  orinoco_cs            13608  1
  orinoco               42804  1 orinoco_cs
  hermes                 7552  2 orinoco_cs,orinoco
  pcmcia                49732  6 hostap_cs,orinoco_cs
  ieee80211_crypt_wep    4896  0
  ieee80211             23272  0
  ieee80211_crypt        5252  3 hostap,ieee80211_crypt_wep,ieee80211

[...]
> After looking at the 2.6.14 kernel sources I would suggest that you try
> to modprobe the following modules:
>
> hermes            ; these three
> orinoco           ; were already
> orinoco_cs        ; loaded

> orinoco_nortel    ; these five made no
> orinoco_pci       ; difference, and
> orinoco_plx       ; were not used, but all
> orinoco_tmd       ; were added to the lists
> spectrum_cs       ; using orinoco, hermes, pcmcia

See added comments on right above.

> If one of these does not fix the problem it is probably time to talk to
> someone with specific knowledge about the orinoco drivers; maybe there
> is a certain trick which has to be used with WEP or the order in which
> the modules are loaded is important. It might be worthwhile to ask for
> further help on the debian-laptop list, with a short summary

I'll do that.  Thanks again.

--
richard