Re: dhcp client wifi setup

Hi Richard,

Richard Lyons wrote:
But ifup eth0 gives

    etho: New link status: Connected (0001)
    Listening on LPF/eth0/00:02:2d:a6:07:bb
    Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:02:2d:a6:07:bb
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
    ...more similar...
    No DHCPOFFERS received.
    No working leases in persistent database.

    Exiting.

    Failed to bring up eth0.

Maybe you can first try to find out if you have a problem with the
interface itself or with the dhcp-client. To configure the interface
directly you can use the iwconfig command (as root)

iwconfig eth0 essid xxxxxxxx
iwconfig eth0 key xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx

After you have done this the output of "iwconfig eth0" will tell you if
the interface works and if it has associated with the correct access
point. The output of "iwlist eth0 scan" might also be helpful, as it
shows all detected access points and signal levels.

If the interface fails to associate even though the signal level is
sufficient you might be missing the relevant modules to handle the
cryptography which is necessary for WEP. Unfortunately I do not know
anything about the specifics of the orinoco driver, but I know that for
example the Intel wireless drivers need an extra module for the
ieee80211 crypto. Newer kernels have the option CONFIG_IEEE80211 for
this. Maybe the documentation of your driver can help you further.

On the other hand, if the interface does associate with the AP you know
that the problem is caused by the dhcp-client. Run "dhclient eth0" and
see if it still fails. I am currently using Sid's dhcp-client package
version 2.0pl5-19.4 and it works without problems. Check your
/etc/dhclient.conf for settings which could cause trouble, for example
an unusually short timeout.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
           Florian