Re: post install tidbits? [was Help with Linux selection please?]

On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 03:12:10AM -0500, Chinook wrote:
> I went through the dpkg-reconfigure and it would not let me select
> anything except 800x600 and 640x480.  So next step I edited the file as
> Kelly mentioned to set 1280x1024.  Then I rebooted and found I was in a
> pile of it.  There is no more GUI (neither gdm or xdm will come up).

(a) You hand-edited it to make it not work. Try hand-editing the file to
make it back the way is was.

(b) I believe the configuration tools watch for people who hand-edit
the X configuration file, and refuse to damage the careful hand-tuning
you've done.  So there is something you have to do to tell it that
it's OK to replace the hand-tuned version with a machine-generated
one.  I think it stores a checksum somewhere to detect the change.
Unfortunately I don't remember just what it is you have to do.

-- hendrik