Re: apt-get openoffice dependency problems

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:56:15AM -0800, Caleb Walker wrote:
> Hello all,
> Perhaps because my subject was not specific enough, I did not get a
> response.  I really need to get this computer up and usable but for now, I
> cannot get over this dependency issue.  I dont even want openoffice
> installed right now.  Please let me know.
>
> I recently installed a new computer with the newest copy of the debian
> testing on it.  I got back in the system to add programs and update others
> with apt-get and I continue to get these errors.  Is there a way that I
> dont know about to get around these?  I have also tried to change over to
> unstable and stable and tried to remove openoffice but nothing at this
> point works.

Since you don't want openoffice installed, as a last resort you could edit
/var/lib/dpkg/status with vi or some other text editor and change the
entry for openoffice.org to read:

Package: openoffice.org
Section: editors

This would make apt-get and dpkg forget you tried to install the
package.

An alternative way to do this would be to replace /var/lib/dpkg/status
with one of the dpkg.status backups in /var/backups. Hopefully you
still have a backup from prior to when you started having the problem
installing openoffice. If you do this you may have to reinstall other
packages that may be marked as uninstalled in the backup.

--
Jerome