Re: Question on backups using rsync

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:24:37PM -0600, Brad Sims wrote:

> I have a 300GB external HD that contains a current / with the
> exeption of /proc/ /tmp/ /mnt/ /dev/ and /sys/...
>
> Is it possible do a bare-metal restore using this?

Yes.  Like others said, though, you really have to try it to be completely sure.
Why don't you mirror /dev/?

One thing to consider is that it's safer to use a LVM snapshot while
copying a mirror.  That way it won't matter if the files change during the
mirroring.  This issue won't keep the system from booting, since libc6 and
such never change, but if a database file changes, for example, it could wreck
havoc with that.