Re: Question on backups using rsync

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:17:31AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> moving slightly OT, but I was thinking the other day about my critical
> backups. they arent very big, a few MB. I currently backup to another
> machine on my network, which I know is not really secure. (why would the
> fire only burn half the office? why would the thief only take one of
> three machines? etc). So I've got 10 megs of space on an unused website.
> can you use rsync with ftp somehow and get an automated backup to that
> location? hmm....

I'd love to get comments from people who are interested in the topic of robust
home backups on my web page on this issue:

http://danielwebb.us/software/backup/

In the case you're talking about, I suggest rdiff-backup assuming you can ssh
to the web server.  The downside of just using (automated) rsync is that if
you get corruption on your main system it may be copied to the remote system
before you realize it, and the whole point of backup would be lost.