Re: Question on backups using rsync

On (19/12/05 19:57), Daniel Webb wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:17:31AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> > moving slightly OT, but I was thinking the other day about my critical
> > backups. they arent very big, a few MB. I currently backup to another
> > machine on my network, which I know is not really secure. (why would the
> > fire only burn half the office? why would the thief only take one of
> > three machines? etc). So I've got 10 megs of space on an unused website.
> > can you use rsync with ftp somehow and get an automated backup to that
> > location? hmm....
>
> I'd love to get comments from people who are interested in the topic of robust
> home backups on my web page on this issue:
>
> http://danielwebb.us/software/backup/
>
> In the case you're talking about, I suggest rdiff-backup assuming you can ssh
> to the web server.  The downside of just using (automated) rsync is that if
> you get corruption on your main system it may be copied to the remote system
> before you realize it, and the whole point of backup would be lost.

Not if you 'snapshot' your backups - I found some helpful links and set
up a backup regime that keeps daily backups for a week, weekly backups
for a month, and 6 monthly backups.  So should you delete or corrupt a
file, you can go back up to six months to recover it.

The links are included here under 'Automatic data backup':
http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk/selfhelp/FileServer_Install_manual.html

Regards

Clive

--