Re: What would I do without partimage?

nospam-51121@carolina.rr.com (William Ballard) writes:

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 12:48:07AM +0100, Paul Seelig wrote:
> > For ntfs partitions, i prefer the more mature ntfs support of the
> > ntfsprogs and the added benefit of loop mounting an NTFS image file.
>
> You can't mount an image that has been saved with --save-image.

Yes, if you use the --save-image parameter. But if you restore such an
image to a file instead to a partition, you can use loop mount that file.

> I tried ntfsclone and it works about as fast as partimage, and it's definitely less
> cumbersome that partimage; however the resulting gzipped image file from a 20GB
> partition with 2GB of actual data was about 60MB larger: 840mb versus 780mb.  The
> partimage image was also gzipped.

But can you restore a partimage image to a file and loop mount the result?

> I'm also going to file a bug against ntfsprogs that ntfsclone should be packaged
> separately from the rest of ntfsprogs.

I love package fragmentation... :-/

> ntfsclone is actually useful; the rest of those
> programs are either unnecessary or flat dangerous.  The only thing they have in common
> is they involve NTFS.

ntfsresize and ntfsfix are some other nice components of the ntfsprogs
package.  I've benefited from both various times.

> The fact that ntfsclone is packaged with a tool called "fixntfs" or somethign who's man
> page says "always run this after running any of the other utilities in this package
> before booting or your NTFS partition will be completely destroyed" makes me feel
> squeamish about ntfsclone,

 :-))))))

Don't worry. The ntfsprogs should be safer than the ntfs support of partimage.

> although as I said it's a different animal and people report
> it as stable.

ntfsfix helped me quite a few times to fix a ntfs partition which the
native WinXP chkdsk couldn't repair anymore... ;-)