Re: Can't login... need help

Paul, you must make sure that X is not running on an other console if you
want to use startx.

the suggestion to run startx is very reasonable: this way you
will see where it stops.  if you don't manage to stop gdm/kdm/xdm, you can
do two things I believe:

switch to an other runlevel (you do this by logging in as root and
giving the command 'init <runlevel>').  on my system runlevel 2 does not
contain X.  once I've entered runlevel 2 I only see the text consoles and
I can give startx.

an other thing you could do is looking into your /var/log files.
try asking this:

ls -lrt /var/log/X*log

the last line is also the newest file.  probably you can find some
useful info inside it.

ciao,
Mario

--
... hinc sequitur, unamquamque rem naturalem tantum iuris ex natura habere,
    quantum potentiae habet ad existendum et operandum ...