Can't login... need help

Hi All,

I'm kinda a newbie to Linux, and I think messed something up. I can't login through the gnome desktop manager anymore. I used to be able to login and I can login under a different account on the system. I do have several error log files, but I don't really know where to start in fixing things.

So here is what happens.

The Gnome Desktop Manager login dialog comes up. I type in my name and hit OK. Then I type in my password and hit OK. It seems like it's trying to log me in at this time but then just comes back to the login prompt.

In /tmp there is a file called xses-paul.QrE84n. Inside it looks like xrdb gives and error message of "No such file or directory" and "Can't open display ':0'.

Any suggestions to fix this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,

  --Paul Ravish