Re: killproc

Tim Ruehsen wrote:
I have an external programme that is calling for the function killproc. This is apparently not available in Debian Sarge.

What is the policy?  What is the story?  What should be used instead?

If you are using killproc for sending signals to processes by name (instead of by processid) give killall a try. It belongs to the packet 'psmisc'.

Tim

Yes, thanks. pkill also seems to be a possibility. And I would like to know more. Debian does not seem to give any explanation as to why it does not use killproc. Do they suggest an "official" alternative?

John