Re: Can't login... need help

Hi Kent,

Same thing happened.

As root I typed /etc/init.d/gdm stop and it immediately look like it restarted

When I tried ps ax | grep [xgkw]dm it didn't show anything.

Since you said that that was impossible, I tried rebooting and rerunning the instructions.

But first, before typing the commands above, I did a ps ax | grep gdm and a ps ax | grep [xgkw]dm

Several lines returned

I then reexecuted the commands above. Nothing was returning from ps ax, even though it seemed that gdm restarted.

So does this mean that something is preventing gdm and/or X from starting up. I do have some files /tmp as well as some file that start with '.' in my home directory.

Thanks,

  --Paul