Re: Can't login... need help

Still no luck. I received the same error message. Here is what I did:

as root I typed /etc/init.d/gdm stop

it looked like it shutdown but then automatically restarted. But when I listed the processes it didn't come up.

$ps ax | grep gdm

I'm not sure what OS version I'm running. How can find out? The OS was installed about a month ago.

Thanks,

  --Paul