Re: cannot access USB modem - after unstable dist-upgrade Nov05

Hi
I recently did a dist-upgrade on my 2.6.11 unstable system. As others, I
couldn't use X due to issues with udev not picking up the mouse. I
removed udev, installed an earlier version and now I can use the mouse
and X.

However, I cannot seem to access my Speedtch modem. I've reinstalled the
firmware (not sure this is actually needed) and `lsusb` lists said
modem. But my `sudo pon speedtch` doesn't work anymore (it waits a while
then says (0.38) can't connect, or something very similar [sorry had to
send this from work since home PC no longer connected!])

I can't see a 'ppp' interface in `sudo ifconfig -a` output but am unsure
whether it only appears there once the 'pon' has completed successfully.

All pointers and solutions most welcome,
Michael