Re: cannot get into X - after testing dist-upgrade 11-03-05

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 10:27 PM
Subject: Re: cannot get into X - after testing dist-upgrade 11-03-05

Kent, and Ryan...
Thanks again...
I'm pretty sure GPM is not installed, I remember trying to install that and
could never get it working a long time ago.
I just checked the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and the mouse is (as it should
be) listed as /dev/input/mice. However I tried putting it as /dev/psaux to
no avail.

I can't understand why the dist-upgrade today would have caused a mouse
config problem.

The windows partition is NTFS...I don't know how to command line a logfile
to a floppy...basiaclly I am "command-line stupid" here.
I am somehow fairly cetain that re-installing the nvidia driver might help,
I have had to do that before when other upgrades have screwed up X.
I cannot do that with gcc4 installed. I need to remove that, but when I do
it takes gcc out with it. Then if I try and install gcc again with only
gcc-3.3 it won't let me...it wants gcc-4 installed. Synaptic has a way to
lock in gcc3.3 but I don't know how to command line do that.

I think dist-upgrade could force you to install udev, if it was not installed this could change /dev directory and now /dev/input/mice simply does not exist - try /dev/psaux.

also try apt-get install module-assistant, then 'module-assistant auto-install nvidia', then apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel-common this will install nvidia driver debian way.

and finally try imstalling midnight commander 'apt-get install mc' this will help a lot with your command line troubles.
--
Vasily Levin
I am the "ILOVEGNU" signature virus. Just copy me to your signature.

I am able to get into X by running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and choosing "vesa" video driver,  then manually selecting the  mouse as gpm. It will go into X but there is no mouse movement.  In effect it's useless, but seems like it's progress.

I have the logfile here, it is huge so I only included what seems to apply to the mouse:

Configured Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
 No such device.
(EE) Configured Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Configured Mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(WW) No core pointer registered