Re: cannot get into X - after testing dist-upgrade 11-03-05

mailmanmike@sbcglobal.net wrote:

>     I am able to get into X by running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"
>     and choosing "vesa" video driver,

Ah, so your earlier suspicion that your woes were caused by video driver
issues was correct, notwithstanding my suggestion to tackle the mouse
issue first, which, by the log and symptoms described below, is also an
issue.

>       then manually selecting the  mouse as gpm. It will go into X but
>     there is no mouse movement.

Here might be a good time to repeat one of my favorite X tricks.

If you have a full-size keyboard with a separate number pad, you can use
the number pad as a mouse in these types of situation. To turn on the
feature, press Shift-NumLock. You'll probably hear a beep. To turn off
the feature, press Shift-NumLock again. You'll probably again hear a beep.

While in this mode, the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 keys are direction
keys, moving your mouse pointer in that direction. The 5 key is a
"click" key. The /, *, and - keys modify the click key to be left click,
middle click, and right click. The 0 key is a "click-and-hold"; the Del
key is a "release hold".

>       In effect it's useless, but seems like it's progress.
>
>     I have the logfile here, it is huge so I only included what seems
>     to apply to the mouse:
>
>     Configured Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
>     (**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
>     (**) Option "CorePointer"
>     (**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
>     (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>     (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
>      No such device.
>     (EE) Configured Mouse: cannot open input device
>     (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Configured Mouse"
>     (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
>     (WW) No core pointer registered

As others have pointed out, you may have an issue with udev or hotplug.
I'm afraid I'm too ignorant of these "newfangled" ways of doing things.
I'd just manually modprobe interesting modules, until the mouse started
working (again, here's a benefit of gpm; it's a lot faster to restart
gpm to test the mouse than it is to start and kill X.) Some of the more
interesting modules might be mousedev and usbmouse. So,

    # modprobe mousedev
    # modprobe usbmouse

Does "cat /dev/input/mice" produce garbage now? If so, add these two
module names to "/etc/modules".

Likely, those people who understand udev/hotplug will say this isn't the
way to do it, and if they want to educate me about udev, I'd love to see
a short explanation about what it is and what it replaces/obsoletes, and
be thus educated. But this method should do in the meanwhile.

--
Kent