Re: Adding LVM to an existing system

On Wednesday 16 Nov 2005 01:31, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> One thing that I have yet to see a conclusive answer to:  Can I make LVM
> Logical Volumes from logical partitions in an extended physical volume.
>   Since I have 4 physical volumes, including an extended volume, I would
> have to create the LVs from logical partitions.
>
> Also, assuming that I can use logical partitions, is it possible to use
> some, but not all logical partitions from an extended partition.
> Currently, my / partition is /dev/hda5 and my /boot partition is
> /dev/hda11 and I would want these to NOT be included in the LV.  I would
> be including /dev/hda6 through /dev/hda10 as well as a new /dev/hda12
> (which will be the remaining space on the disk).
>
> Will this work?

I can't be 100% sure (because once you are using LVM you really don't need
lots of partitions - so I only have a few ( some combination of root, boot,
swap and lvm) on the most populated disks, but I believe the answer is yes.

You can easily try it on your spare partition.  Just use

pvcreate /dev/hda12

followed by

vgcreate vg /dev/hda12

followed by