Re: Adding LVM to an existing system

On 16/11/05, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

> One thing that I have yet to see a conclusive answer to:  Can I make LVM
> Logical Volumes from logical partitions in an extended physical volume.
>   Since I have 4 physical volumes, including an extended volume, I would
> have to create the LVs from logical partitions.

You  sound a bit confused on the terminology.

A disk has 4 primary partitions, not 'physical volumes'. One of those is set
up as an extended partition (with lots of logical partitions in it, as you say).

You make LVM physical volumes (PVs) out of disk partitions (/dev/hdaX -
the things that show up in parted), in much the same way as you'd
make a swap partition.

Then you build a volume group(VG) by combining PVs to get a big slab of storage,
and finally you slice up your VG to make logical volumes (LVs).
Then you make filesystems on the LVs.

> Also, assuming that I can use logical partitions, is it possible to use
> some, but not all logical partitions from an extended partition.
> Currently, my / partition is /dev/hda5 and my /boot partition is
> /dev/hda11 and I would want these to NOT be included in the LV.

That's fine.

1. run pvcreate on the logical partitions you want to use
2. vgcreate  a volume group from them
2. chop it up with lvcreate to make some logical volumes

See the HOWTO, it's straightforward.
It's no different from adding extra swap, and won't touch your other partitions.

http://number9.hellooperator.net/