Adding LVM to an existing system

I currently do not use LVM.

I have a 40GB disk with 3 physical partitions and logical partitions 5-11 on the remaining physical partition. Several of the partitions are getting full. There is space on the disk. Just over half of the disk space is UN-partitioned.

What I need to know is if I am better off to simply juggle the data around using parted to increase the size of the paritions, or should I install LVM and migrate the data to LVM volumes.

I have read the LVM-HOWTO.

It sound like I could create a new logical partition out of the remaining space and create LVs there to hold all of my data. After copying my data to the LVs and verifying that I can boot to the new LVs I could then delete the old logical partitions, replace them with a single, large partition and add it to the VG. This would give me plenty of space to grow my LVs in the future.

Is this a good plan, or should I just juggle logical paritions and not use LVM?

If I use LVM, should I leave the root and boot partitions out of the LG, or can I boot from a LV? If so, what do I need to do to make sure that everything works?

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com