Re: Dual processor

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 11:48:50PM +0000, jb701@uku.co.uk wrote:
> I've installed sarge from DVD onto a dual pentium 3 machine.  How can I
> tell whether debian has detected both processors?  Or can I just assume it
> will have?

If you have the framebuffer at login - you should see two penguins :)

Dmesg is your friend. dmesg | less will replay some of the messages
that scroll off your screen at boot up. At the beginning, there should
be something about processors.

Top may show this too.

Kcontrol centre under KDE under the system information.

If you installed a plain kernel - the stock kernel is single processor
only.

You may want to aptitude install kernel-2.6-i686-smp [Or something
fairly like that. Use synaptic / dselect / aptitude to find out]

The SMP is the give away - synmetric multi processor.

Andy