Re: nvidia drivers and 2.6.13.4

I've installed the driver from nvidia.com version 1.0-7676, the device files nvidia0 and nvidiactl are created but after restart X stiil doesn't start. When I try to start kdm a blank screen is what I get and if press enter it returns to console. In Xorg.log.0 the last line tells me about initializing GLX, but no error is reported. Exactly what version of kernel are you using?

On 11/11/05, David Purton <dcpurton@chariot.net.au> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 09:08:36AM +0200, Andras Lorincz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using testing and installed the nvidia drivers following the
> instructions on
> http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html. But after
> restart X won't start, but if I reinstall the nvidia modules package
> generated with make-kpkg, it works. But in this case also after the nvidia
> splashscreen appears and before the kdm dialog appears, on the screen some
> vertical stripes can be seen. So why do I need to reinstall after restart
> the nvidia modules?
>
> P.S. The module is loaded at startup as I put it in /etc/modules.

Hi,

Which version of the nvidia module are you using?

Grab the one from experimental. I had this problem too only a week or
two ago. It is because the one in unstable did not support some new
kernel thingy for automatically creating device nodes in /dev.

The debian kernel package creates the /dev files manually when you
install it, which is why it works until the next reboot.

The experimental version (7676) at the time I got it works fine.

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a