Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

Scott <angrykeyboarder@angrykeyboarder.com>:
>  Kent West wrote:
> >
> > No. Stable does not get new packages, other than bug/security fixes and
> > the like.
>
>  And that my friends, is Debian's biggest flaw when it comes to the
>  desktop user.  It's also why I'll never run stable

It is not a flaw.  It's a designed in feature.  _The Point_ of Debian
is to produce _stable_.  All else is mere means to that end (though
perhaps useful in other ways; you _may_ run sid IFF you're willing to
accept _non-stable_ behaviour).

Stability is what Debian was trying to produce when Murdock & friends
began.  That's still a cornerstone value.  Considering all the
downstream distributions based on Debian, that strategy is working well.

    (*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling           Linux Counter #80292
    - -    Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/autospam.html
           http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt