Re: Got totally messed up with Debian Unstable

On (14/11/05 07:58), All Nicks Are Taken wrote:
> Hi.
> A few of days ago I decided I want to upgrade my Sarge to Sid (unstable) and
> so I did (changed the apt sources list, as I've read in some article.)
> Couple of days ago everything worked fine, absolutely no problems; a clean
> shutdown with nothing suspicious.
> Yesterday I booted up my PC and to my surprise, everything was messed up. At
> first, I could see GDM wasn't loaded, and later I descovered that no
> partitions have been mounted except the / partition; then, I also found that
> no network is up and some modules haven't been loaded. The messages at the
> booting stage contained lots of errors...
> I tried to mount the /usr partition manually, and it went fine. also all the
> partitions I mounted manually were ok, and all the data on the HD was ok,
> including /boot (and lilo.)
> But I really don't know what to do now... Something like this has never
> happend to me.
> Here is my 'dmesg' output:
> http://metawire.org/~crux/dmesg
>
> Any idea what can I do now? I'm pretty clewless...

If you are going to run sid, it is worth using aptitude and making sure
you have apt-listbugs installed.  Then before completing the upgrade you
get the chance to 'hold' the packages that have open bugs outstanding by
aborting the upgrade and marking the guilty packages by pressing '='.

To get your networking up you could try

# /etc/init.d/networking restart

... if it doesn't work let us know the output of

# ifconfig

Regards

Clive

--