Mounting an iPod via USB

I've got an iPod that I'd like to use and for the life of me I can't figure
out how to mount the thing.

I'm running Sarge and have the debian package for gtkpod installed, as well
as USB support compiled into my kernel (2.4.27).  I've never used a USB
device under linux before, all of my devices has the appropriate interfaces
(parallel/ps2/etc) so I've not had the need.

If I connect the iPod, its screen tells me not to remove it, but I cannot see
that it's mounted anywhere.  From what I've been able to gather through
googling it should show up as a SCSI device but it does not.

What am I missing here?

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com