Re: Mounting an iPod via USB

2005/11/9, Josh Battles <josh.lists@omg-stfu.com>:
> I've got an iPod that I'd like to use and for the life of me I can't figure
> out how to mount the thing.
>
> I'm running Sarge and have the debian package for gtkpod installed, as well
> as USB support compiled into my kernel (2.4.27).  I've never used a USB
> device under linux before, all of my devices has the appropriate interfaces
> (parallel/ps2/etc) so I've not had the need.
>
> If I connect the iPod, its screen tells me not to remove it, but I cannot see
> that it's mounted anywhere.  From what I've been able to gather through
> googling it should show up as a SCSI device but it does not.
>
> What am I missing here?

I have an ipod mini and I am able to mount it using the following:

1. connect the ipod and use the dmesg command to see if it was
detected. You should see somthing like:

usb 3-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: Apple     Model: iPod              Rev: 1.62
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
usb-storage: device scan complete
sda: assuming Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: assuming Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

2. Create a mount point for the ipod.
    # mkdir /media/ipod
3 Edit /etc/fstab and add:
/dev/sda2       /media/ipod     vfat    user,noauto,rw  0       0

No you should be able to mount your ipod with: $ mount /media/ipod

To get rid of the ipod's message that says to not disconnect the ipod,
like root:
# eject /dev/sda2

Note, if you have a windows ipod, it is /dev/sda2, for the mac ipod I
think it is /dev/sda1.

--
"Meine Hoffnung soll mich leiten
Durch die Tage ohne Dich