Installing to SATA drives (was Re: SATA DVD not recognized)

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 08:12 -0700, Basajaun wrote:
> marc wrote:
> > > Hi,

[snip]

> [snip]

[snip]

> [snip]

[snip]

> 1) Debian can not be installed on a SATA HD from scratch with a 2.6
> kernel. Rather, one has to install with kernel 2.4, _then_ upgrade the
> kernel. This is so because, under 2.6, SATA is seen as SCSI, and
> somehow this makes the install program not see the IDE CD drive it is
> being installed from.

Sure it can.  I just did it a couple of weeks ago.

Note that I did it using the latest Etch daily netinst ISO build,
not Sarge.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I tried to
ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage the plane."
RICHARD REID, tried to blow up American Airlines Flight 63