Re: SATA DVD not recognized

On 20. October 2005 at 6:43PM +0100,
marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> wrote:

[...]

> Perhaps what we need is a more streamlined kernel building
> process. The current fallback is "roll your own kernel". I
> would agree that this mentality has to go at some point.

To me the important thing is that the source is out there (under
th GPL or better). If you can't blame the user, then blame the
distro (I'm not saying we should). The kernel people just write
the kernel. It's not their job to make sure it gets shipped as
part of the latest Debian stable release. That I guess is one of
the pitfalls of calling Linux simply as Linux and not, say,
Debian GNU/Linux.