Re: SATA DVD not recognized

marc wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I´m trying to get a Plextor 712-SA DVD drive working on an Asus A8N-SLI
> > with kernel 2.6.13. I can load the libata and sata_nv modules, and there
> > are messages about adding and removing SATA devices. Also, it says the
> > SATA device on the first SATA port, which is the DVD drive, is being
> > configured for UDMA33.
> >
> > I have only the first two SATA ports enabled in the BIOS, and they show
> > up as scsi2 and scsi3. The system is SCSI only except for the DVD drive.
> >
> > I cannot access the DVD drive because there´s no device for it. It also
> > doesn´t show up in /proc/scsi/scsi.

[snip]

> SATA works pretty well here. A one line fix, that I've been using on a
> laptop, involves activating ATAPI in include/linux/libata.h. I'm using
> this on 2.6.13-3, and also used it on 2.12 kernels.
>
> #undef ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI /* define to enable ATAPI support */
> #define ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI /* define to enable ATAPI support */

[snip]

Somehow I fail to see how changing the source file of a module one has
to subsequently recompile can qualify as "works pretty well". Damn, we
are not in the dark ages were Linux users were suposed (required) to be
computer geeks.

I am lately having some bad experiences with Debian, which, although
made me learn a lot, where a pain, and I keep seing people have similar
problems, mainly with SATA, SCSI emulation, 2.4 vs 2.6 kernels and the
system being able or not to see the HD or CD-ROM:

1) Debian can not be installed on a SATA HD from scratch with a 2.6
kernel. Rather, one has to install with kernel 2.4, _then_ upgrade the
kernel. This is so because, under 2.6, SATA is seen as SCSI, and
somehow this makes the install program not see the IDE CD drive it is
being installed from.

2) Booting on 2.4 gives SATA drives /dev/hdaX names. Booting on 2.6
gives /dev/sdaX names. Result: /etc/fstab hell. I think that fiddling
with grub/menu.lst can fix it, but this shouldn't be necessary.

3) Unless some modules (ide-core, etc.) are inserted in the kernel or
included in the initrd.img, when booting on a SATA drive, the IDE
devices will go unnoticed, because the ata_piix module hijacks the ide0
and ide1.

All this can be "easily" fixed... but grrrrr, it shouldn't be required!
I want Debian to boot and install flawlessly on both IDE and SATA, with
eider kernel 2.4 or 2.6. I want to have my CD accesible with any
kernel/HD type, just by default, w/o fiddling with anything... I guess
the Debian community has accomplished much more difficult tasks,
haven't it? And problems with SATA drives, which are the de facto new
standard (the market is driven by the manufacturers, not the customers
as we are fooled into believing) are far from minute... IMHO.

Aggg, sorry for the rant.

     Basajaun