Re: 2.6.12 and 2.6.13 won't access cdrom -UPDATE

On 11 Oct 2005, Basajaun wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > On 11 Oct 2005, Basajaun wrote:
> > > Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
> [snip]

> [snip]
>
> > > Where did you find the 2.6.13.3 package? I have Etch and Sid sources in
> > > /etc/apt/sources.list, and 2.6.12 is the latest aptitude finds. Also,
> > > search in the Debian site gives 2.6.12 as the official kernel for Etch
> > > and Sid... could you post the sources.list line that does the trick,
> > > please?
> > >
> > >      Basajaun
> > >

> > I got it from ftp.kernel.org, i.e. the vanilla kernel source.
> > Subsequently I also got the relevant linux-image from
> > http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/ and this seems to
> > work as well.
> >
> > Anthony
>
> Thanks a lot. I actually had already compiled a 2.6.13 kernel from
> kernel.org, as I mention, and also dpkg-ed one from the experimental
> release. Both work fine, but the non-detection problem is identical
> with both of them and 2.6.12, because the source of the error is
> somewhere else.
>
> I backtracked the problem to the SATA disk my comp has. The 2.6 kernels
> recognize it as SCSI at boot, so they load the ata_piix module, which
> subsequently blocks loading of ide-core, ide-generic etc. Actually,
> these modules are loaded at some point, but they complain that ide0 and
> ide1 are already taken (ata_piix seems to have "hijacked" them).
>
> I intend to upload my epic odyssey to my Linux "trick page", and I
> might post a link, if I don't find it too lame :^) My solution, in
> short, has been to insert these lines in /etc/mkinitrd/modules:
>
> ide-core
> cdrom
> ide-cd
> ide-disk
> ide-generic
>
> (the order is important, because of inter-dependencies that are not
> held properly at the boot time where these options kick in, since
> modprobe is not available to the kernel or whatever).
>
> Then I made a new initrd image for my kernel, reading the file above:
>
> mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-1-686-smp.custom 2.6.12-1-686-smp
>
> and the final touch would be to insert the corresponding line in
> /boot/grub/menu.lst.
>
> HTH any other person with a similar problem. BTW, searching the web for
> literal boot-time error messages like "I/O Resource 0x1F0-0x1F7 not
> free" did it, so bless Google, and bless the thousands of users that,
> no matter how obscure an error might be, have already suffered it and
> posted about it in public forums (in this case, even as far back as in
> late 2004).
>
>      Basajaun

Interesting. My problem only became apparent with a newly built
motherboard which does have SATA stuff in its BIOS. I don't understand
much about this and am reusing my old disks so I turned it off. However,
in my case there did seem to be a difference when moving from 2.6.12 to
2.6.13.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian