Re: Debian Kernel 2.6.12 and parallel port problems.

Malcolm Lalkaka wrote:

Hi,

I'm running Debian Etch (testing) and after upgrading to the debian
kernel version 2.6.12-1-686, my parallel port printer no longer seems
to work. What I mean is that Debian doesn't seem to be able to
communicate with it. Everything is physically plugged in: power and
parallel cable.

<snip>

NOW, here is the important part. after sending a print command, I
check dmesg, and 3 new lines are outputted:
    parport0: FIFO is stuck
    parport0: BUSY timeout (1) in compat_write_block_pio
    DMA write timed out
I have a similar problem with DMA for my cdrom drives (bug #330176). It sounds like it is definitely a kernel problem if it worked fine with the old kernel. If you can, try to figure out how the kernel config changed from the 2.6.8 to the 2.6.12 kernel, especially in regards to DMA.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do with this information. But I
do know that my printer worked fine using CUPS and the same driver on
an older 2.6.8 kernel. I suppose it could be a bug, in which case I
should probably report it to the Bug Tracking System. But I don't know
which package I should put it under, since there are linux-image-2.6,
linux-image-2.6-686, linux-image-2.6.12-1-686.
I think that if you log it against any of those packages, they all end up getting logged against the source package anyway, so it doesn't matter too much. But I logged my bug against linux-image-2.6.12-1-686-smp or something like that.

Jason Martens