Re: Responses to the list

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> Ok, now I'm confused.  I've seen so much "respond this way" on the
>>> list lately.  I'm using Tbird, and when I hit "reply" it replies to
>>> the poster only.  When I hit "reply-all" it goes to the poster, the
>>> list, and maybe a few others that got picked up along the way.  I
>>> thought this was done on purpose so as not to munge email headers
>>> with mailman, but... now I've seen people say:
>>>
>>> 1) CC me because I'm not on the list (ok done - hit reply-all)
>>> 2) Respond to the list and don't CC me
>>>
>>> So in this case, do we hit reply-all, and cut and paste the list
>>> email as the To: line, removing all others, etc?
>>>
>>> It seems to me if this is the behavior desired, then the mail headers
>>> should be munged in mailman like so many others lists do.
>>

>> Doesn't T-bird have a "Reply to list" option?
>>

> It does NOT.
>
> And the way this echo is set up is a fairly irritating annoyance to me.
>
> If I do a "Reply" as is my custom, then I have to switch to another
> window, right-click to copy the list e-mail address, switch back,
> click on another "To" and right-click to paste it in.
>
> And if I don't notice, then the reply goes only to the originator.
> So then I have to go to the "Sent" folder, find the message, and
> forward it to the list.
>
> Either one also messes up threaded reading.
>
> But, I was told that this has all been hashed out before, so I guess
> there are those who just don't care or don't know about what it costs
> others to use the list.

Your guess is wide of the mark.  Just because things aren't how you want
them, the admins don't care?  What about people who _do_ want it this way?

If you are upset about all the clicking and window changing, perhaps you
should consider a console-based mail client.

I am using Thunderbird right now, and the whole GUI-ness is a pain, but
I don't feel it with regard to this problem, as I have it set up to read
this list via the newsgroup linux.debian.user.  Hitting reply goes to
the group.  Perhaps this is something that some Thunderbird users should
consider.

The Mozilla apps go a great way to making Linux usable for ex-Windows
users, and they are fine work, but let's not pretend that they aren't
full of bugs.

Another option for those who don't like the list policy is to become
Debian Developers and change the policy.